Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Bell Jar Nail Art

Hey there!  Yup, another double posting day.  It just so happens that the last day of the month (The Polish Bookworms day) falls on a Sunday (Sunday stamping challenge day) and since I skipped last week's Sunday stamping theme, I didn't want to skip another one.  And since I also wanted to show you guys my nail art inspired by this month's The Polished Bookworms book of the month, you get a double dose of me and my blabbing.

This month's book was The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.  I've never read any Plath before so just in case you don't know about her, she's a Pulitzer prize willing poet/writer.  The Bell Jar is about a woman's descent into depression.  Apparently this book has a lot of parallels to Plath's own life, who was also clinically depressed causing her to, tragically, commit suicide at just 30 years old.



I felt The Bell Jar did an amazing job uncovering what depression does to the mind.  The book was challenging to read at parts because it seemed very disjointed but I took that as a demonstration of what it was like in her world.

One quote from The Bell Jar that I felt summed up the title of the book was To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is a bad dream.”  It's as though when you're depressed (ie. in the jar) the world is bleak and no matter what beauty lays outside, all you see is the darkness.  That was my inspiration for my nail art.  


For the nails I used Sally Hansen Back To Black and OMGhost as the base.  I freehanded the bell jar with grey and white acrylic paint and the flowers with China Glaze Petal To The Metal, Rose Among Thorns, Happy Go Lucky, Gaga For Green, Four Leaf Clover and Fade Into Hue.  Lastly I made everything matte with Essie's Matte About You.


If you've read the book, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.  Did you think it was a good representation of what depression is like?

'Til next time...

No comments: